It is a passion of mine to learn and teach about nutrition and fitness. With regards to children, it is of the highest importance to ensure they are fed properly prior to and while attending school. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! When preparing meals for your child, please try to keep in mind the following points:
- When you shop at the supermarket, choose foods that are in season.
- Buy foods that are organic if possible.
- Know what’s in your food. Read labels. Can you pronounce ALL the ingredients and are there 5 or less? THAT should be the goal.
- The average meal travels 1500 miles from the farm to the supermarket. Buy foods that are grown locally. Shop at farmers’ markets.
- Plant a garden.
- Cook a meal with your family and eat together as often as is possible.
As parents, we have the ability to change with world one bite at a time. These children are our future leaders. Let’s feed them right, avoiding the high-sugar, low-nutrient, processed foods that are sometimes the easier choices. Make a goal each week as a family to eliminate one poor choice and replace it with something healthier. Let your children help in the decision-making process…it will help them be on board with these new changes. Have fun as a family working side-by-side making decisions and preparing the meals. It is such a great way to spend time as a family, set a great example and show the importance of nutrition.